Apple Tart

I actually find it very difficult to make good puff pastry from scratch.  The first time I tried making a shortcrust pastry pie shell, it ended up turning into this weird chewy bread thing. o_O  From then on, I've tried to avoid making pastry from scratch at all costs. It's time consuming and it doesn't turn out the way I want.  =P


So as recommended by Viv, I now "cheat" and use the Betty Crocker® pie crust mix for my apple tart shells. I save time and the resulting pie crust tastes great! In fact, it is so good that one of my friends thought I bought it from the agnès b bakery (I was just using an agnès b cake box to transport the apple tart). Haha...

Anyway, I basically just followed the recipe on the pie crust mix box for a single crust apple pie.  The only minor changes I made were to replace the 1/4 tsp of nutmeg with more cinnamon (since I don't have nutmeg on hand) and to leave out the butter.


Ingredients:
Pastry:

1 1/3 cups Betty Crocker® pie crust mix
2 tbsp & 2 tsp cold water

Filling:
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3 large tart apples, thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter

Method:

  1. Stir pie crust mix and cold water until pastry forms a smooth ball.
  2. Place pastry ball in center of 8" pie plate; press evenly on bottom and side.
  3. Fold edge of pastry under, even with rim of the pie plate; flatten with fork, or pinch to make decorative edge.
  4. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg with the apple slices.
  5. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over filling.
  6. Heat oven to 220C/425F.  Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble.

0 comments:

Post a Comment