Mini Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

I had the biggest craving the other day for mint chocolate chip ice cream... But since it was the middle of the night and I didn't have any at home then I satisfied my cravings by googling mint chocolate chip. Out popped up images of mint chocolate chip cupcakes... Ohhhhh... I had never thought of making those before!! I put it on my list of things to make on a 'rainy day'...

For the last session of Alpha I wanted to make something special for them... I consulted my list and immediately decided to try making the mint chocolate chip cupcakes. Wow, was I ever happy that I did! I don't remember the last time I was so pleasantly surprised by the result of a recipe. In fact, the cupcakes were so tasty that I almost don't want to serve them at Alpha and eat them all myself! Haha... I'm joking of course... But they did turn out super yummy...

For the chocolate cupcake base, I used the recipe from Brown Eyed Baker and for the delicious mint chocolate chip frosting, I used the recipe from Eva Bakes. I made minor adjustments to both recipes... for the cupcake base, I reduced the amount of sugar and I used semi-sweet chocolate (it seemed to work the same as bittersweet chocolate... is it the same thing??). I also took into consideration that I was making mini cupcakes and so cut down on the baking time.

For the frosting, I didn't have heavy cream available so I used a butter/milk substitute and instead of using chocolate chips, I used chocolate flakes. It was impossible to pipe the frosting with the chocolate flakes, so I ended up just slathering the frosting on with a knife. Hehe... Anyway, below is the combined and modified recipe that I used! Best of both worlds... ;-)

Ingredients (makes around 48 mini cupcakes):
Cupcakes:
113g unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
60g semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
2 eggs
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp table salt
½ cup sour cream

Frosting:
226g unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp heavy cream (or 47mL milk and 20g butter, melted)
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
3 drops green food colouring
2/3 cup mini chocolate chips (or chocolate flakes)

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325F/160C.
  2. Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to the touch.
  3. Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine.
  4. Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is homogeneous and thick.
  5. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners and fill up with batter until 3/4 (or 1/2) full.  Bake for around 15 minutes.
  6. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.
  7. Using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl once or twice.
  8. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar, cream, peppermint extract, and food colouring.
  9. Turn the mixer to high and beat for an additional 3 minutes. If the frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar. If the frosting is too thick, add more cream. If the frosting is too sweet, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Depending on your personal preferences, you can increase the amount of food coloring and peppermint extract as desired. Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment