Raspberry Chocolate Coffee Cake (Revisited)

Ah! So I'm back sooner than expected with my revised version of the coffee cake... =) No time like the present and I had some "guinea pigs" who were willing to help me test out my cake. I didn't change the amount of ingredients used... only the method that I used. The key really is not to over mix or the whole thing will turn into a big rubber disc.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I'd recommend using a baking pan with taller sides as the cake rose up quite a bit. Again, it did take quite a bit longer to bake... around 65 minutes... but I'd still check around the 45 minute mark to see whether it's done.

The result? It was fluffier... but the bottom part of it was still a bit dense! Boo... Well maybe that's just the way the cake is supposed to be. I dunno... But I still think it tasted great... =) Perhaps next time when combining the flour mixture and the liquids, I will fold them in with a spatula rather than using an electric mixer.

Ingredients:
Streusel:

43g unsalted butter, cold
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
57g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 cup dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or white chocolate)
1 and 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) unsweetened raspberries

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F/176C. Grease 8 or 9-inch baking pan.
  2. Prepare streusel by first mashing up cold butter with a fork.
  3. Add flour and sugar to the butter and stir the mixture until it is crumbly.
  4. Mix in the slivered almonds and set aside.
  5. For the cake, sift flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
  6. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl.
  7. Add in half the flour mixture and beat on low until just combined (5-10 seconds). Add in half the milk and again beat on low until just combined (5-10 seconds). Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and milk.
  8. In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork and add to the batter. Add in the vanilla extract and then beat on low until just combined (5-10 seconds).
  9. Pour half of the batter into the baking pan. Layer in half the streusel, most of the raspberries and chocolate chips. Pour the remaining batter into the baking pan and layer with the the rest of the streusel. Top with the rest of the raspberries and chocolate chips.
  10. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until it's no longer "jiggly".

0 comments:

Post a Comment