Double Chocolate Banana Bread

Well I miscalculated the number of bananas that I would need to use for my mom's banana muffin recipe so I had extra bananas lying around. I'm not much of a banana fan normally and I also had leftover sour cream so I scoured the web for a banana sour cream recipe. I came across the perfect recipe which used both ingredients from the blog Savory Sweet Life. The recipe author gave it the name of Sour Cream Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread... but I thought the name was too long so I renamed it to simply Double Chocolate Banana Bread. This is a "re-mix" of the popular banana bread by adding cocoa powder to the dough and adding chocolate chips as well... hence double chocolate! ;-)

This is a bit more "cake-like" and moist than a regular banana bread, but surprisingly not as sweet as you'd expect from something labelled as double chocolate! I was thinking of bringing this to serve at Alpha... but I'm having seconds thoughts after my first taste test... Mmm...

Ingredients:
113g salted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 large ripened bananas mashed (or 2.5 small bananas)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (regular chocolate chips work too)
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)

Method:
  1. Preheat over to 350F/177C.
  2. Lightly grease a 9×5 loaf pan, or 2 mini pans with non-stick spray.
  3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Stir in egg, mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla until well blended.
  4. Add baking soda, cocoa, and flour.
  5. Mix everything until well incorporated (about 3 minutes with an electric mixer).
  6. Add chocolate chips and nuts (if applicable).
  7. Pour batter into loaf pan(s) and bake for 50 minutes – 1 hr.
  8. Insert a tooth pick into the center of the loaf and check to see if it comes out clean when you pull it out.
  9. Remove from heat and allow bread to rest in the loaf pan for 10 minutes.
  10. Invert the loaf pans onto a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or cold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment