Cornflake Cups

Wow it's been a long time! I was recently encouraged by Hipster-L to keep going with this blog so I'll try not to disappoint my one and only fan. ;P Though it's a bit hard for me to bake these days since I don't have an oven anymore.  My new place doesn't come with one. =(

Anyway, thanks to another good friend who graciously let me borrow her kitchen/oven, I made the following desserts for the Spring 2011 Alpha course. Both recipes are great hits with kids (both small and big)... And super easy to make too! So the two cornflake cup variations I did are honey and chocolate. Each recipe can make around 30-40 mini cups (depending on the size of the cups and how "full" you decide to fill them up).



Some notes when making these desserts... Make sure to use good quality butter (like French butter) or else the resulting product will have no flavour.  Also, I'd recommend that you use foil cups so that the cornflake mixture does not stick to it. And please do be careful when baking the honey variation as it burns quite easily due to the sugar content. My first batch was tasteless and crispy because I followed the original recipe and left it in for 10 minutes. Actually, you need to watch it very carefully and at the first sight of browning, take them out of the oven! One last thing is don't leave the chocolate variation in the fridge for too long otherwise it will develop a white coating and not look pretty.


Honey Variation:
Ingredients:
40g butter
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
2 cups cornflakes
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Method:

  1. Melt butter over low heat.
  2. Add in sugar and honey, stir till sugar is dissolved.
  3. Add in cornflakes and nuts and mix well.
  4. Spoon into small foil cups and bake at 180C/350F for 5-10 mins.

Chocolate Variation:
Ingredients:
50g butter
100g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
2.5 tbsp golden syrup
80g cornflakes

Method:

  1. Melt butter over low heat.
  2. Add in the chocolate pieces and golden syrup, stir till mixture is well blended.
  3. Add cornflakes and mix well.
  4. Spoon into foil cups and set in the fridge for 10 mins.

1 comments:

larina said...
May 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I just read your facebook entry that you got a new oven, congrats! I had to swing by your blog to checkout if you had any receipes. And saw this post referencing me :D Also, you've been on a baking-a-thon, cause there are lots more added! Keep up the great posting!
This recipe uses Hipster-A's favourite cereal, I'll have to give it a try once we settle into our new home.

Post a Comment