Baked Sago Pudding / 焗西米布甸

Baked sago pudding is a childhood treat that my mom would make for our family friends potluck gatherings. It was one of her signature dishes and one that was frequently requested. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and also recently saw my parents in SH so I decided to make this dessert. I didn't get her recipe (again, me and my impatience) so I just followed the recipe from my favourite website Do What I Like.


The recipe recommended using lotus seed paste as a center layer, but I've never eaten it that way... plus I find sago pudding already quite heavy so I didn't think it required anything extra. One thing that really threw me off when making this dessert was the sago pearls. The first package that I used, the sago pearls were too small and they all melted away. I had to run down and find another brand of sago pearls which turned out ok.

Be careful in the last step when browning the top of the pudding. For me, I stepped away to hang up my laundry and ended up burning a part of it. =P


Ingredients:

115g sago pearls
30g custard powder, sifted
30g cornstarch, sifted
160mL coconut milk
2 eggs, beaten
300mL water
160mL evaporated milk
90g sugar
30g butter 


Method:
  1. Boil sago pearls in a big saucepan with plenty of water for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the saucepan with a lid and leave it aside for 5 - 10 minutes till sago pearls are transparent. Drain and rinse in cold water.
  2. Combine the custard powder, cornstarch, coconut milk and beaten eggs till smooth. Strain if lumpy.
  3. Boil 300mL of water till bubbling hot. Add in the sugar, butter and evaporated milk. Stir till sugar dissolved. Reduce the heat, add in the custard mixture and then the cooked sago pearls. Stir till thicken.
  4. Grease ramekin cups with butter and spoon in sago mixture. Sprinkle a little sugar on the surface.
  5. Bake at 200C/400F for 15 minutes in the middle rack and move to upper rack and bake till surface shows sign of golden brown caramelized spots.

0 comments:

Post a Comment